Wrap up Family Game Night with wedges of this colorful cheesecake from our home economists.
Prep: 1 hour
Bake: 1-1/2 hours + chilling
- 2-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 75 wafers)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tubes each blue, red, green, yellow, brown and orange decorating gels
- In a small bowl, combine vanilla wafers and butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds into sour cream; stir to combine. Set aside. Discard vanilla bean.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in sour cream mixture until blended. Beat in eggs on low speed just until combined.
- Pour into crust. Place pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- Place in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until surface is no longer shiny and center is almost set.
- Remove pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove sides of pan; cut cheesecake into six wedges. Squeeze each color of decorating gel onto a different wedge and spread carefully.
Yield: 12 servings.
Editor’s Note: You may substitute 3 teaspoons vanilla extract for the vanilla bean if desired.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 456 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 141 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.